Reishi mushrooms have been praised as “the medicine of kings” due to the wide range of health benefits that Eastern medical practitioners attribute to them. The fungus helps the body maintain its natural balance by bolstering its immune system. The mushrooms can potentially assist in combating such diseases as AIDS, cancer and cardiovascular ailments, along with problems like insomnia and anxiety. Red reishi mushrooms are considered the most potent due to their polysaccharide content. (Polysaccharides are the carbohydrate structures that actually attack diseases.)
Instructions: How to Prepare Reishi Tincture
Chop 7 ozs. of red reishi mushrooms into small pieces.
- Place the chopped mushrooms into a 32-oz. canning jar.
- Add 32 ozs. of 100-proof vodka to the jar.
Screw the lid onto the jar.
Keep the jar in a place that is dark and dry for 28 days. You can leave the mushrooms to marinate for a further 28 days if you want a really strong tincture.
- Shake the jar every day to agitate the solution.
- Hold a strainer over the top of an empty 32-oz. jar.
- Pour the tincture into the strainer to catch the mushrooms and to collect the liquid in the empty jar.
- Lay the saturated mushrooms on a twice-folded layer of cheesecloth and wrap the cloth around them.
- Hold the cheesecloth over the canning jar containing the tincture and squeeze it to get as much alcohol as you can out of it.
Seal the jar and, between uses, store it in the place where you first marinated the tincture.
Tips & Warnings
- Don’t use a premium brand of vodka (like Grey Goose or Belvedere) to make a tincture. Purchasing alcohol by the gallon, like Popov, is much more economical.